The Best Canadian Honeymoon Destinations for Adventurous CouplesSaturday, February 16, 2013 Mary Anne Velasco
You’re getting married, and you want something more than rest and relaxation for your honeymoon. Of course you want some of that, but you also crave adventure and excitement.
You'll be happy to know that finding places to go and things to do without leaving Canada isn’t hard. If you want the best, here are the premier destinations to consider for your romantic excursion. Whether you want to hike, kayak, bike or another activity, you can do it — all while seeing fantastic scenery and unique wildlife.
- Clayoquot Wilderness Resort. At this eco-friendly and luxurious retreat, you’ll have plenty to do, while also being able to relax. Choose from a variety of guided activities, from fishing to kayaking and mountain biking. These activities are customized, depending on your preferences. The activities director will design adventures that are perfect for you as a couple. Riding horses is a signature activity, but you may also be taken to a secluded beach to learn how to surf. For something less active, you can take part in the daily yoga classes.
- Kw’o:kw’e:hala Eco Retreat. Located in the gorgeous mountains of the Pacific Northwest, alongside the emerald waters of the Coquihalla River, this wilderness lodge and B&B practices an eco-philosophy that will guide you back to the basics and give you a deeper appreciation of nature. No matter if you’re into hiking, cycling, rock-hounding, swimming or bushwalking, you can do it all while enjoying the surroundings. Other opportunities are located less than an hour away: guided fishing, river-rafting and gliding. As for relaxation, you’ll find natural spa amenities and white-sand beaches.
- Sonora Resort. At this resort, you can choose from several eco-adventure travel activities. Go on a peaceful kayaking tour or an exciting grizzly bear tour. Hikers can trek around Florence Lake, with hiking guides and bear bells [supplied on-site]. An all-weather tennis court can be used at all hours and top-of-the-line equipment is provided.
Adventures Planned for You
- Wild Earth Adventures. You’ve already done a lot of planning for your wedding [even if you had help], so why not allow someone to plan your honeymoon adventure? These private expeditions go to remote areas in Vancouver, Bella Coola, Tofino, Victoria and Whistler.
- Fresh Track Canada. This company has travel packages for whatever type of adventurous honeymoon you want. You might enjoy the Rockies Rail and Golf Adventure or the Complete Canadian Rockies by Rail package, with close-up views of wildlife, such as moose, elk and bears.
- Mont Tremblant. Recently voted a best ski bargain and the No. 1 ski resort in eastern North America, this destination combines first-class skiing with French charm. You can soak under a waterfall or swing on a “Tarzan rope” at Aquaclub La Source Tremblant.
- Vancouver. This city is located near the Pacific Ocean and the Coast Mountains, so you can take part in a variety of outdoor activities. The golf courses are world-class and the campsites are beautiful as well. You can go caving, climbing or ziplining. The top tourist attraction is Stanley Park, where you can hire bikes, tandems or rollerblades.
- Victoria. You and your special someone will find plenty of hiking trails in this city. Also, you can whale watch, kayak and more. As you plan, check out some of the hotels in Victoria for relaxing after adventure-filled days.
- Whistler. One of the best ski resorts [Whistler Blackcomb] is located here. Great ziplining is found here, as well as snowmobiling and bungee jumping.
Canada Is Packed With Adventure and Fun!
No matter what destination you choose for your honeymoon, you and your spouse will have an amazing time that is fun, and still romantic and relaxing.
About the Author: Julie Dillaree is a wedding planner from Vancouver who loves to stay active. Hiking is her favourite outdoor activity.